Translate

Saturday 5 May 2012

LATE JAMES IROHA (AKA GRINGORY) GOES HOME



ABIA POST AND INDEED, THE ENTIRE ABIANS BID FAREWELL TO OUR OWN RENOWNED ACTOR, LATE PA. JAMES IROHA (AKA GRINGORY AKABUOGU), TODAY, THE 5TH DAY OF MAY, 2012 IN HIS HOME TOWN, AMABA, AMOKWE ITEM IN BENDE LOCAL GOVERNMENT, ABIA STATE.

There are no better ways to describe late Pa. James Iroha than what he said and wrote about himself while he was alive. His Autobiography reads thus:

James Akwari Udensi Iroha OON
“I’m one of the several sons of late Mazi Akwari Iroha of Amaba, Amokwe Item in Bende Local Government Area of Abia State. I was born on the 12th day of October, 1942.”
I had my early education in the Northern part of Nigeria, (Bukuru, Plateau State). Secondary Education in the present Cross River of Nigeria and my University Education at the University of Ibadan.
During my lifetime, I spoke fluently in three major Nigerian languages and two International languages (English & French). I had a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mass Communication and a professional Diploma in Theatre Arts.
My working career started with Eastern Nigerian broadcasting service in Enugu.(E.N.B.S) in 1967 as the television producer. Where I rose to the rank of Director of Television cum, Deputy General.
Just after the Biafra war ended, people had no business or reason to smile, let alone laugh. Then, if one hadn’t lost a mother, then it must be the father, or an uncle, or even a twin sister. At that point, i had this emotional burden to put a smile on people’s face again. This was the divine inspiration that gave birth to “THE MASQUERADE” (satirical tv drama) came to me.
First, it started off on stage with live audience, and then moved on to Radio and later TV as a local content programme. And finally, it became a national programme on Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) and across Africa. Ever since then, I have been referred to be one of Nigeria’s most hilarious comedians. A na m anu ihe?!
Did I mention I was the premier director of Imo State Council of Arts and Culture (ISCAC) from 1980 to 1982? Yes, I was.

The funeral was well attended by the likes of Abia State Chief of Staff, Dr. Cosmos Ndukwe,Mr. Chika Okpala, (aka Zebrudaya of "masquerade"), Chris Nkulor,Dr. Okwu I. Okwu, Abia State Commissioner for transport, Jegede's son, Clarius wife, Members of Actors Guild of Nigeria and several other dignitaries.

ABIANS WILL SURELY MISS HIM.







































3 comments:

  1. Rest in peace our comedy icon. Your children lived up to expectation.... a befitting burial, it was.

    Nenna Ndukwe

    ReplyDelete
  2. May his soul rest in peace. He was very good in what he did. Nigeria need more of his type.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rest On Pa James Iroha. Item People Will Miss You.

    ReplyDelete